Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thyroid Surgery

I had to be at Banner Desert at 6 a.m. yesterday, Election Day.  We mailed our ballots in.  I didn't sleep much the night before because I was so nervous!  I knew I could sleep later during surgery.  I hate getting IV's, but the nurse got it on the first try, on the back of my hand.  I kissed Dave goodbye, and was on my way.  I woke up to Dave telling me that they had to take both sides of the thyroid off.  Dang it!  I hit the bed with my fist.  I knew I would have to take thyroid medicine the rest of my life.  The doctor told us later that the pathologist doesn't usually give his opinion about the testing samples, but he told Dr. Maser that he thought it was cancer.  So why did Dr. Maser tell us this now (we find out the official results on Friday)?  Did he not want me to be shocked to find out it is cancer, or to be happy when it's not?  So by taking the entire thyroid off, I knew I was going to have to stay the night at the hospital.  Good thing I brought my toothbrush!  The 3 inch long incision on my neck is glued together.  It is sore, but the worst thing is my sore throat, sore from the tube which was put in during surgery.  And I've had a headache for 2 days now.  They gave me morphine, but I hated it because it hurt like heck when they pushed it through the IV.  So I took tylenol  because I hate the Percoset they offered.  I just want ibuprofen.  Brooks and Shelci brought Dave tacos from Jack-in-the-box.  I ate jello, applesauce, italian ice. Dave tried to sleep on the lazy boy chair in my room, but around midnight I told him to go home and sleep.  I had another sleepless night in the hospital. Even if I could have slept, a nurse came in at 3 a.m. to take my blood, and soon after to take vitals.  I was discharged about 11.  So good to be home to my waterbed, puppies, and no IV to maneuver while trying to get to the bathroom.  And the annoying leg massage wraps to help with circulation.  Shelci brought chicken and rice over.  I don't like to take help from people, but thank you!  I am feeling better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment